Sunday, November 4, 2007

Quiet Book

I did it!!! I finally finished Chandler's quiet book. For some reason projects like this are always hard for me to do. Once I get going it is easier but it's the getting started that is hard. I always want to plan everything out just right and think of the best way to do it- but then I never start! Anyway, here are the pages I made:

Cover- For the cover I hand stitched each letter on. I don't advise anyone doing this. It took forever and made my fingers hurt. You can see that I was a little sloppy. I got good at it by the time I got to "book". If you want to know how to do hand stitching, follow this link. I also sewed on the button and a ribbon loop to close the book.

Noah's Ark- this was the first zipper I have ever done. It wasn't that hard. I don't have the animals done yet. I'm thinking of printing them and then laminating them. I was going to make felt ones but that would be too hard and I want them to be identifiable. The rainbow was an after thought. I'm glad I did it though because it makes the page look tons better.
Jonah and the Whale- This is my favorite page by far. I hot glued the ribbon and I used ribbon for the water spraying out. Kids always love playing with tassel like things. I just cut the waves out of felt and sewed them right on.
Peter Fishing- I sewed a little bag using some netting and then sewed the buttons on the page. I cut fish out of felt(now that I think about it I should have done them with two pieces of felt to make them stronger). I wasn't going to make button holes but the felt didn't seem strong enough to just have a slit so I ended up making button holes.

Tithing- This looks like one of the easiest ones but it gave me so many problems! I tried doing snaps and it didn't work. I have no clue how to put snaps in. They kept breaking and bending and it was just awful. So I ended up getting velcro and hot gluing the velcro on. When I took the picture I hadn't taken the snaps off but I have since done that.Bag for Tithing- This is just a little draw sting bag to put the tithing coins in. Simple.
Time to Tell- the clock was the first page I did. I put a little stuffing under it to make it puff out. I doubled the felt for the hands and used a hole punch to make a nice hole for the brad. (Update: Chandler played with this for a minute and immediately ripped the hands off. hhhmmm...you might want to find a better way to secure the hands. I'm now trying to figure out how to fix them.)

Temple puzzle- I used the stiffened felt for the temple. I just traced it then cut it apart and sewed velcro on the pieces and to the page. This one was pretty easy too. I also traced the temple onto the page so he can see where to put the pieces.
Joseph and his coat of many colors- By far my least favorite page. I still have to go get smaller googly eyes for him and make a smile. I sewed felt with corresponding colors onto the page then put velcro on so he can take the coat pieces off and know where to match them back up.

Last page- I just sewed a pocket for paper and a pen holder pocket. I also put a bigger pocket on the inside cover. By this point I wasn't feeling very creative and I just wanted to get the book done!
Chandler seems to love the book so far. I will scan all the patterns that I used and post them (just not tonight) in case anyone else wants to figure out how to make a quiet book.

5 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

Very cute and creative, I'm impressed!

Kayli said...

Awesome awesome job!! I was wondering if you had finished your mystery project.

I like the Jonah page a lot too, and I *lOVe* the front cover. I like it with sloppy stitching, I think it makes it look charming? Anyway, it is awesome and you are awesome for making it. I have thought about making a quiet book (and file folder games) several times but never have because I'm lame I guess. My kids always have to go search in other people's bags to find fun stuff at church. Guess we'll have to sit by you from now on. (That is, if I ever come back to church.) ;)

Steve and Katrina said...

Kayli, Ethne is learning from Jethro and Hazel. Ask Brett how she was rummaging through our Diaper Bag in Elder's Quorum today. It was pretty funny as she went through everything.

Ginger said...

Holy Cow, that is so cool! How much would I need to give you to make one for me.....no, I'm serious. How do you come up with this cool stuff!!

Unknown said...

I love your Quiet Book, it is adorable. I think my favorite page is the whale.