Saturday, November 24, 2007

Apple Pie

Steve says that he married me for my apple pie. HAHA! I actually decided this Thanksgiving that I don't really care for apple pie. I love making it and trying to make it all pretty but I didn't really like eating it. I even think this year was my best apple pie yet!

Ingredients

Apples ( I have no clue how many. I just cut until it looks like enough and fills my pie dish. Maybe 6-8 apples?)

3/4-1 cup sugar (I use half white and half brown)

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/8 cup flour

My new secret ingredient:)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Peel and core the apples. Thinly slice them and put in large bowl. Add a little sugar, flour, and spices. Stir and taste to see if you need more sugar. Add my secret ingredient. Okay, I'll tell you what it is.....Paula Dean showed me this- add about 1/2 cup applesauce.

At this point you can store apples in fridge for however long you need or bake the pie right off.

Line a pie dish with pie crust- homemade of course. Pour in apples until they are mounded up a little bit.

Roll out more pie crust and cut into 1 inch strips. Make a lattice top. Cut around edges and roll pie crust under and pinch all around pie.

Make crumb topping:

3 tbsp flour

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp butter, softened

Mix together with fork and sprinkle on top of pie.

Put on cookie sheet (because it will probably bubble over) and cover loosely with tin foil. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake at least 45 minutes. Mine always takes way longer. I just check to see when the apples are soft enough. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes.

1 comment:

GordonandChrissy said...

That looks really pretty, and yummy!