Saturday, November 24, 2007

Pie Crust

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup total shortening and butter, cold and cubed (I used about half of each but it is hard to measure half of 3/4 so I just guess and make sure the total amount is 3/4)
1/4 cup to 1⁄2 cup milk

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and butter and cut it in with a pastry cutter. Work it quickly, so the butter doesn't get too soft, until the mixture is crumbly, like very coarse cornmeal. Add the milk, a little at a time, until the mixture comes together forming a dough. Bring the dough together into a ball. When it comes together stop working it otherwise the dough will get over-worked and tough.

Divide the dough in half and flatten it slightly to form a disk shape. Wrap each disk in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

On a floured surface roll each disk out into a 10 to 11-inch circle to make a 9-inch pie.

Yield: 2 (9-inch) pie crusts

I have always used milk in my pie crust but this year I wanted to see what difference ice water made. I made the dough both ways but then forgot to mark which one was which so my experiment was ruined. I didn't notice a difference between the doughs so maybe it doesn't matter?

No comments: