Monday, April 7, 2008

Magic Cookie Bars

These are a classic I remember from growing up. The funny thing is, I always thought that my mom had made up the recipe. Then the other day I had the Eagle brand Sweetened condensed milk and I looked on the label and there was a recipe for Magic Cookie Bars!! Who would have thought?!?! I just laughed and told myself I'm such a dork! So here's to great moms who make yummy treats for their kids and make them think it is a secret recipe. (not that my mom ever told me that, I just assumed it was a family secret.)
Ingredients

1 stick butter
1 package graham crackers (1 1/2 cups crushed)
1 can condensed milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut

1. Turn oven on to 350 degrees. Put butter in 9x13 inch Pyrex dish and put in oven to melt.

2. Crush graham crackers. When butter is melted, pour graham crackers into Pyrex dish and mix around with butter until all coated. Press into bottom of pan.

3. Pour condensed milk onto graham crackers (I like to use half now and half on top).

4. Sprinkle chocolate chips all over top (you can add white chips or peanut butter or butterscotch chips). Then sprinkle on coconut. Poor rest of condensed milk over the top.

5. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Let cool before cutting.
I used some peanut butter chips that I had and chocolate chips. It tasted good but I've heard that butterscotch chips are really good on these. I also don't measure the coconut or chips. I just sprinkle them on until it looks good!

3 comments:

Kayli said...

I have to tell you that pretty much immediately after reading this post I went and made some of these. Love them! It was the first time I ever made them though, because my mom never made them so I didn't have a recipe. Even though I've had them lots of times at church things or whatever, I'd never fished around for the recipe. Anyway.

So, do you use a 9X13 pyrex? For some reason I thought I should use a smaller one, and I think they're too thick. They didn't look right.

So thanks for the recipe so I could have yummy stuff to pick into all day long!

Steve and Katrina said...

Yes, you are supposed to use a 9x13 dish. Sorry, I forgot to put that in the directions. I will go fix that right now!

Case said...

Another good recipe for those who don't like coconut...
Do the same with butter but mix in the sweetened condensed milk with the graham crackers and press into bottom of pan. Then just sprinkle the chips on top and bake.