Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chocolate Surprise Cookies

The recipe comes from Martha Stewart. I also found it on one of the blogs I look at. I actually really enjoyed this cookie. At first I thought they were too cakey but then I put them in the fridge and I liked them better cold. Ingredients

1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 large egg
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally

Frosting:
2 c powdered sugar
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 c milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

To make the cookie:

Preheat oven to 375F and line baking sheets with parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.

Scoop into heaping tablespoons onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10-12 minutes. (I actually did 8 minutes)

Remove from baking sheets and place a marshmallow cut-side down into the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Spread about 1 tablespoon frosting over each marshmallow and spread to cover the marshmallow.
I think these would be really fun for kids......since there is a surprise inside! I made my frosting then left it on the counter for a little too long (I kind of forgot about it). So that is why the frosting is a little dry looking on top. It didn't spread as easy. I should have added a little more liquid.

2 comments:

Mark and Tamri said...

Mark grew up eating this, so this is a favorite here. The best way to eat them is actually after they are frozen. They keep longer that way too. Surprisingly, they never harden in the freezer (at least the version we have).

Case said...

So I am looking for a different cookie to try so I was looking through all of your cookie recipes. I was laughing how you kept saying chocolate chip cookies are your bad subject because they are the only cookie I can make!! I love them! So let me know if you want my recipe. I also started making peanut butter chocoalte chip which has gone over extremely well at church activities.
Which of all these cookie recipes do you think is the yummiest and which do you think is the easiest? Just wondering!!