Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ribbon Blanket

I have been meaning to do some sewing for a while now but I haven't felt like getting out my machine and taking over the kitchen table.  Chandler's blanket has had a rip in it for a long time so I decided I should probably fix it before it got any worse.  So I did that yesterday and then decided I would try making a blanket with ribbons sticking out.  I had the pink material already so I started with that.  I loved it so much I decided that I better make one that Chandler can actually use.  So I found some blue material and made him a blue and brown one.  
I love the contrast between the fuzzy and the silky.  The ribbons give the child something to hold onto or suck on or just play with and feel different textures.  I tried to find lots of different kinds of ribbon.

I think this would be the coolest baby present.  It is small enough to fit in your diaper bag but it is also big enough to cover a baby if you need.  I have so many different colored ones I want to make now.  Maybe I should set up an etsy site???  Most of the ones on the site are just little squares.  I was going to make mine like that but I like it to be more of a blanket than a so called "lovey".  
Anyone could make this.  It is so simple and fast- I made them in one night.  I bought some fabric glue to help hold my ribbon together while I pinned it.  It made things so much easier. You only need about 6 inches of ribbon for each loop.  Just put the wrong sides of the fabric together then pin the ribbon in place facing the inside.  Sew around the edge leaving a little opening.  Flip it right side out and then top stitch around the whole thing, closing up your opening.  Questions??

4 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

Those are so cute!!! You're amazing. :) What's an "etsy" site?

Unknown said...

Katrina like always your project is perfecly cute!

Steve and Katrina said...

I totally forgot you asked me a question Chrissy!!! Etsy is a site that lets people buy and sell homemade items. It is free to use and has tons of neat things.

Tracie Frost said...

Actually, someone did make me one of these for Eli. He doesn't use it yet, but as much as kids loves tags, I'm sure he will!