Wednesday, January 23, 2008

German Pancakes

Steve and I have always wondered what exactly German Pancakes were. I have seen them show up on a lot of food blogs but no one has ever had a picture so we were still kind of clueless. The recipe makes them sound a lot like crepes so I was really confused. Anyway, I finally made them the other day. They were good but nothing that I would rave about. I don't know if I made them right but this is what mine looked like:

Ingredients

6 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. flour
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1 Tbs baking powder

1/2 c butter

Melt butter in a 9 x 13 inch pan in the oven at 350 degrees.

Blend eggs in blender until bubbly (You may use a mixer too.) Add milk, flour, sugar, vanilla and all other ingredients; blend until light in color and bubbly.

Pour batter into the melted butter in the baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. (Should be puffy and slightly golden on top). Cut into squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup, fruit or jam.

*Mine took more like 20 minutes. I don't really see the point in melting a whole stick of butter in the bottom of your pan. I think if I made them again I would only use 1/2 a stick or less. To me they tasted like a really eggy cake. Maybe I didn't make them right? Does anyone know?

*Okay, I just looked them up on wikipedia and found this. Is that what mine was suppose to look like?!?!? I guess I failed:) Maybe this would be a better recipe. Maybe I should have done my research before making them. I will have to try again.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Yep, those pics where what mine look like. And the other recipe you linked too is exactly like mine, except mine is doubled (1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, 6 eggs, etc.) Definitely try it again. We LOVE German pancakes!!