Monday, September 24, 2007

Peanut Butter Cup Pie

Here is a recipe from Chrissy. She says that it is good for you and light. I kind of defeated the purpose of it being somewhat healthier. I didn't follow the directions totally. Super yummy and delicious though!

Ingredients
1 2/3 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (I used crushed Oreos because I didn't have chocolate graham crackers and omitted the sugar and egg whites)
7 large T sugar, divided
2 large egg whites, slightly beaten
Cooking spray
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2/3 cup reduced-fat crunchy peanut butter (I just used smooth)
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 container frozen fat-free cool whip
Preheat oven to 350.Combine crumbs, 3 T sugar, and egg whites; toss with a fork until moist. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray (I used my spring form cheese cake pan. It worked great, maybe even better than a pie dish would). Prick crust with a fork before baking. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
Combine milk and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly; transfer mixture to a bowl. Add peanut butter and vanilla, stirring with a whisk until combined. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Place cream cheese in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add milk mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Fold in whipped topping; pour mixture in to prepared pie crust. (I also added crushed peanut butter cups to the mixture.) Freeze, uncovered, 8 hours or overnight until hard. Transfer pie to refrigerator 30 minutes before slicing. (I ate it straight out of the freezer and it was still good. I didn't have the patients to wait for it to thaw a little.)

1 comment:

GordonandChrissy said...

I'm glad you liked it! I agree, it's hard to wait for it to thaw before you dig in. We were just talking about that cake last night and decided we're definitely making it over Christmas break in Colorado. I think it would be a great Christmas dessert. :)