Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cake-tastrophe

So I've done it. I've messed something up cooking. I can usually save things when I think I am messing up but this one was a lost cause. Kayli talked about this delicious sounding Almond Joy cake and she gave the recipe. So I thought I would try it out today - FOR GUESTS!!! What a mistake! They aren't here yet but I am so embarrassed to serve this for dessert. I have ice cream as a back up but what will I do with this huge cake? I think I will have to explain and hope that it at least tastes good even though it looks like a big pile of poo. Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure:



I didn't want to take one to document this horrible disaster but I couldn't help myself and Steve said he would do it if I didn't. Kayli had a very enticing picture on her blog so if you want to know what this cake really should look like, check out her picture. Here is the recipe if you don't feel like following the link:



Almond Joy Cake:

1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk

2 1/2 cups white sugar

25 large marshmallows

14 oz. flaked coconut

1/2 cup butter

2 cups chocolate chips

3 oz. (or so) slivered almonds



This is for a 9X13 chocolate cake. I always make a devil's food cake, but feel free to make one from a box---it's not as if that's the important part anyway.



1. In saucepan combine half the can of milk (3/4 cup) and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Bring to rapid boil. Quickly remove from heat and add marshmallows. Stir until melted. Stir in coconut. Pour mixture over cake.



2. In saucepan combine remaining sugar (1 cup) and remaining milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add butter and chocolate chips. Stir until melted. Mix in almonds. Pour on top. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. (Or not. Because if you serve it sooner than that, it will be warm and gooey and delicious.)

2 comments:

Kayli said...

HA HAHAAA!! I mean, I'm so sorry. I really am, I just had to laugh cause you said it looked like a piece of poo.
But, it really is my fault, cause I forgot to say that this is a leave-the-cake-in-the-pan cake. So that everything doesn't just fall off ---which is what happened right? But otherwise, it's okay--like it still tastes okay?
I'm sorry.

Kayli said...

Actually, when I go back and look at it, it still looks pretty yummy to me. Chocolately gooeyness ...yum!