Whoopie Pies
Have you ever heard of a Whoopie Pie?? If you aren't from New England than you probably haven't. When I was little, I remember spending time with my Aunt (pronounced with the U- not ant:) and we would always make whoopie pies with her. We loved it and we loved eating the whoopie pies. I actually really love pumpkin ones but the classic chocolate is very tasty also.
Whoopie Pies
(Auntie Di’s recipe)
2 ¼ c cocoa powder
2 c hot water
4 c sugar
¾ c butter
¾ c shortening
8 eggs
2 c sour milk
4 tsp vanilla
Dry Ingredients
11 c flour
3 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp baking soda
Boil water and then add cocoa. Cool. Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar. Add eggs. Stir in milk, vanilla, and cocoa. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop by spoonful on parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
Bake at 325 for 10 minutes.
Filling:
2 sticks of butter, softened
12 oz Fluff
1 ½ lb powdered sugar
4 tsp vanilla
3-4 tsp milk if needed
Cream all together. Spread on one side of whoopie pie and top with another one. Individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in freezer.
(I halved the recipe. It makes a ton. I think I counted 30 whoopie pies with half the recipe. I also used half whole wheat flour and added some flax also. They still tasted great. The filling I also halved but probably used more fluff than it says. I just scooped a big spoonful out of the container. A normal fluff container is 16 oz. If you can't find fluff you can substitute with Marshmallow cream. We like to eat ours frozen.)

3 comments:
mmmmm...i want one. :)
What is fluff? I'm not sure that I've ever heard of it.
Fluff is pretty much the same thing as marshmallow cream. It is just a soft marshmallow type spread. Very yummy and not good for you:) Hope that helps.
Post a Comment