sewing projects
Here are a few recent (within last few months) sewing projects I've done. I've been so bad at updating. I just can't seem to find the time so I'm sorry to my one reader I have. I probably don't even have any readers left:)New pillows!! I have visions of an orange, light aqua blue, and white bedroom. So I made some pillows. I love them and can't stop looking at them and thinking how cute they are. Too bad they don't really have a home. Hopefully soon.
This pillow I just cut my fabric 20 in x 40 in. I gathered it on both long sides until it was 20 in. and then cut two back pieces so I could have an open back to put the pillow in. Here are some good directions on how to make a pillow slip cover.
This pillow has been on my to-do list FOREVER. I have had the felt to make it FOREVER. Once I finally started it, it took me about 3 nights and I finally finished. I'm in love with this pillow. Orange is one of my favorite colors and I can't get enough ruffles so perfect combo in my book. Want to know how to make it too? Check out this link. I think it would also be fabulous in white or yellow or any color really.
Basic pillowcase dress I made for my nieces birthday. Her mom was going to make it over Thanksgiving and we never got around to it so I brought the fabric home and finally made it for her. It came out kind of huge. I still haven't figured out the best measurements for pillowcase dresses.Crayon rolls. I just love seeing crayons all neat inside one. Too bad my kid has no desire to keep it that way. I made these for all the little kids in my church class I teach. I gave them as a Christmas present last year. My favorite part was picking out which fabric to pair with what. They are so fun and great for church or just to keep in your purse. Here is a great tutorial if you want to make some too. After making these I realized that the ribbon closer was no good. Four year olds can't tie a long ribbon around a roll. I made one as a birthday present and put a button with a little corded elastic loop. It was much better. I've also seen them with a little Velcro tab closure.
My son wanted a huge snake so I made him one. It's super long and super cool. I made it with just regular fleece on the top and black minky bumpy baby blanket fabric on the bottom. I totally did the eyelids on the wrong side. He doesn't care though. I put a big jingle bell in the tale so it rattles nicely. The only danger of that is it hurts if you get hit with the tale. Here is a tutorial if you want to make one too.
Doll diapers have been on my to do list and I finally made them for a little birthday present. They were so fast and easy to make. I now need to make more for my little girl. I made just two and they were the cutest things ever. Every little girl needs some diapers for her dolls. What to make one too? Here's the link.
Another item I've been wanting to make forever. You should see my 'crafts to make' folder under the bookmarks. I probably have 100 things on there. Anyway, here's another thing I can cross off. Under my kitchen sink is always a mess because of all the plastic grocery bags. I almost never even get plastic when I grocery shop but I still seem to accumulate a lot of bags. Anyway, now I have a cute and practical holder hanging in my pantry. Here's the tutorial.
AHHHH....Chandler's ties. I posted about ties when I made my very first one just over a year ago. It was the purple tie. I've now made many more and I'm not about to stop anytime soon.
They are just so fun to make and I'm usually finishing one up for him to wear on Sunday to church. I like to make special ones for holidays. The yellow one was for Easter 2009, the red polka dot was this past Valentine's Day, the green plaid was the past St.Patrick's Day. I also like to make my daughter a skirt or pillowcase dress and then a tie with the same fabric so they match nicely. I love doing that!
Anyway, the orange one and the blue polka dot are my two most recent ones. I love them and think they look so cool. I love how using two different fabrics look. I made the front with the polka dot and the small back is solid brown. I've gotten pretty fast at making ties now and perfected a few things. Here is the link if you still haven't tried making one yet. One thing I would suggest is use a fusible interfacing so that it sticks to the inside of your tie and doesn't bunch up when you wash your tie. Also, I don't think you have to cut your fabric on the bias if it doesn't make a difference with the pattern. So on solid colors or some prints you can make the ties using very little fabric. Just make sure your pattern will be at a diagonal.
So that is the round up of a few of my projects as of late. Hopefully I can find time to do more. I add more things to my list than I cross off. That's a slight problem but for now I'm a mom raising kids and I don't always have time for crafts.

8 comments:
Katrina, you are seriously amazing.
I wish we lived close to each other (but you better move to Switzerland, cause I don't really want to move to NC), so we could sew stuff together.
One way we're different is that once I've made something, I usually have no desire to do it over. Like how you've made a ton of ties. I made two and that was plenty. Although, I suppose there have been a couple things I've made more than once, like the man's shirt-dress I made twice. But then, I have two daughters. Anyway, rambling. bye.
I wish I made the time to do all that crafting like you do!
I was looking at all those cute ties and I'm hoping sooo badly that our next baby is a boy (not pregnant). I love all the cutesy stuff for girls, but I'm craving the simplicity of boy things.
I love all of your projects. The pillows are way cute. And my kids love their crayon rolls. You should seriously open an etsy shop - but you've already heard that from me before.
I"m still a reader! I just added a link to your blog on in my 'talented friends' list because you seriously are talented. =)
You've inspired me. It's time to put some diapers on some baby doll butts, and it's finally time to organize the bags under MY sink!!! Thanks for the links! (Emery is just too cute!)
I can't get over how "KRAFTY" you are. Seriously. You have so many ties for Chandler, and they are SO cute! I love the pillowcase dress, too. If we have a girl next, I'm bookmarking this post to come back to. Adorable!
WOW! I'm tired just thinking about all those projects, but I want all of them.
Thank you Thank you for posting this stuff!! YOu must have read my mind! Seriously I have been dying to find a good pattern for a toddler tie to make for my son! I also have beem wamting to make something for my grocery bags! You are awesome, where do you find the time? Thanks!
Post a Comment